Friday, August 22, 2014

I love the title Ek Jiboner Shahid --Shahid

One of the lead vocals of band Durbin, Shahid shot into the spotlight through a hit song rendered with Shubhomita, the renowned singer from Kolkata. Later, he did an album “Ek Jibone 2” along with her. His solo album “Nilambori”, nominated for popular Meril-Prothom Alo awards, also entertained music lovers.
Recently interviewed the popular composer-musician.

Since when have you been involved in music?
Shahid: I was so fond of music early on that I would take my bicycle and head off miles to listen to songs. As I could play the drum, bamboo flute and violin adeptly, I always rushed to ashor (musical soiree). After the completion of my studies, I shifted to Dhaka to start my music career.

Tell us about the formation of band Durbin?
Shahid: On my arrival in Dhaka, I started writing in a newspaper as many of my friends were journalists. When I was an MBA student, some friends and I formed the band in 2004. We could not practice very much due to scarcity of space. We released our first album “Durbin” with the help of a number of well-wishers.

You are widely known as Ek Jiboner Shahid; tell us about it.
Shahid: To me, a singer generally comes into the spotlight through one or two songs. It is really a great achievement for me that my fans picked me as Ek Jiboner Shahid. I want to make many such popular songs.

Tell us about your solo albums.
Shahid: In 2008, I released an album. In 2011, my second album “Nilambori” was released while the third, “Nil Chhoan” hit the audio market in 2013.

Do you enjoy working with upcoming artistes?
Shahid: I always try to assist newcomers when I have the leisure. Everyone should work with experienced and new artistes; after all I was once a fresher in the music world. Many newcomers are doing praiseworthy work.

What about your venture into playback?
Shahid: I did my first playback for the movie “Excuse Me”. Recently, I worked on a song for the film “Welcome 2”. I'm now busy doing playback for several other projects.

Which form of musical performance appeals to you?
Shahid: I love working everywhere. But I have a fascination for stage performances.

No comments: